Contact Us

Lubbock Mobile Home Destroyed in Fire Caused by Candle

Facebook

A mobile home has been destroyed by a fire caused by a candle.

The fire broke out around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday at the mobile home in the 900 block of E. Purdue Street.

The two occupants of the home escaped without injury.

The mobile home has been declared as a total loss due to smoke and fire damage. The American Red Cross is assisting the two residents left homeless by the blaze.

Lubbock Fire Department officials say the fire was caused by an unattended candle.

The American Red Cross offers some fire prevention tips regarding candle fires, including:

  • Keeping candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn, such as curtains, bedding, mattresses, paper, books, decorations, clothing, and upholstered furniture.
  • Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, won’t tip over easily, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
  • Place candles where they cannot be reached or knocked over by pets and children.
  • During an emergency, use flashlights instead of candles as light sources.
  • Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle, and keep all matches out of reach and sight of children.
  • Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home, and replace all batteries at least once a year. Each alarm should be tested every month.

For more on the South Plains Regional Chapter of the American Red Cross, click here.

More From KFYO

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://kfyo.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on News/Talk 790 KFYO quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on News/Talk 790 KFYO quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!