Lubbock Mobile Home Destroyed in Fire Caused by Candle
A mobile home has been destroyed by a fire caused by a candle.
The fire broke out around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday at the mobile home in the 900 block of E. Purdue Street.
The two occupants of the home escaped without injury.
The mobile home has been declared as a total loss due to smoke and fire damage. The American Red Cross is assisting the two residents left homeless by the blaze.
Lubbock Fire Department officials say the fire was caused by an unattended candle.
The American Red Cross offers some fire prevention tips regarding candle fires, including:
- Keeping candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn, such as curtains, bedding, mattresses, paper, books, decorations, clothing, and upholstered furniture.
- Always extinguish candles before leaving the room or going to bed.
- Use candle holders that are sturdy, won’t tip over easily, and are large enough to collect dripping wax.
- Place candles where they cannot be reached or knocked over by pets and children.
- During an emergency, use flashlights instead of candles as light sources.
- Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle, and keep all matches out of reach and sight of children.
- Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home, and replace all batteries at least once a year. Each alarm should be tested every month.
For more on the South Plains Regional Chapter of the American Red Cross, click here.