Xcel Energy Announces Proposal to Help Customers Save Money
Xcel Energy announced plans to add 1,230 megawatts of wind energy to their New Mexico and Texas groups. If approved, this proposal would save customers $2.8 billion over 30 years.
Xcel Energy seeks to add 478 MW to Hale County, TX, 522 MW to Sagamore County, NM, and 230 MW to the Bonita wind farms located in Cochran and Crosby Counties in Texas.
This proposal is part of a strategy to invest in infrastructure projects that lower the cost of energy production. Energy production in Texas and New Mexico is mainly dominated by natural gas, which generates nearly 40% of the energy delivered to customers. This means that bills fluctuate as the market changes.
Xcel Energy states that more wind energy means:
- Land remains in agricultural use
- No fuel expense
- No water used in power generation
- No water or air emissions
- Additional tax revenue for schools and counties
- More than 600 jobs added in both temporary and full-time positions