NFL to Teams: Stand for The National Anthem or Face a Fine
The NFL has adopted a new policy that will go into place for the upcoming football season. The NFL announced on Wednesday that teams will be fined if players and personnel do not "stand and show respect to the Anthem". According to FOX News, NFL teams agreed to six different requirements with the policy change.
The teams agreed to the following requirements:
- "All team and league personnel on the field shall stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem."
- "The Game Operations Manual will be revised to remove the requirement that all players be on the field for the Anthem."
- Personnel who choose not to stand for the Anthem may stay in the locker room or in a similar location off the field until after the Anthem has been performed."
- "A club will be fined by the League if its personnel are on the field and do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem."
- "Each club may develop its own work rules, consistent with the above principles, regarding its personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem."
- "The Commissioner will impose appropriate discipline on league personnel who do not stand and show respect for the flag and the Anthem."
According to FOX News, the league will still engage in social justice issues but not does not want to be viewed as a league that isn't patriotic.