Budget Motel in Lubbock Closed After Man Dies of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
A Lubbock motel has been closed after one person died in one of their rooms, likely from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Fifty-eight year-old Harold Rutherford was found dead Thursday at the Budget Motel, located at 805 34th Street. A 43-year-old woman was also taken to the hospital.
The Lubbock Fire Department says that the carbon monoxide leak likely came from a faulty wall heater.
The Lubbock Fire Marshal’s office has had Atmos Energy disconnect gas service to the motel.
During their investigation, LFD found high carbon monoxide levels in the room where the man died and the woman became sick, and found positive carbon monoxide in other motel rooms and in other buildings in the complex.
The rooms did not have functioning smoke detectors, which are required by code and state law, and the Fire Marshal’s office says that all the inspected rooms had code violations involving the gas-fired appliances.
The owners have been instructed to close the Budget Motel until repairs can be made by licensed contractors and inspections can be performed.