Contact Us

Budget Motel in Lubbock Closed After Man Dies of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Allen Corbin, KFYO.com

A Lubbock motel has been closed after one person died in one of their rooms, likely from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fifty-eight year-old Harold Rutherford was found dead Thursday at the Budget Motel, located at 805 34th Street. A 43-year-old woman was also taken to the hospital.

The Lubbock Fire Department says that the carbon monoxide leak likely came from a faulty wall heater.

The Lubbock Fire Marshal’s office has had Atmos Energy disconnect gas service to the motel.

During their investigation, LFD found high carbon monoxide levels in the room where the man died and the woman became sick, and found positive carbon monoxide in other motel rooms and in other buildings in the complex.

The rooms did not have functioning smoke detectors, which are required by code and state law, and the Fire Marshal’s office says that all the inspected rooms had code violations involving the gas-fired appliances.

The owners have been instructed to close the Budget Motel until repairs can be made by licensed contractors and inspections can be performed.

More From KFYO

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://kfyo.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on News/Talk 790 KFYO quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on News/Talk 790 KFYO quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!