Jason Corley Says $50 Million Expo Center Plan Probably Dead [INTERVIEW]
Friday on The Chad Hasty Show, Lubbock County Commissioner Jason Corley joined Chad in the KFYO studio to talk about several issues, including the latest on the Lubbock County Expo Center.
Corley & Hasty discussed county tax rates and property valuations, Lubbock's county roads, and the status of the Expo Center in the wake of reports that the Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) may only be able to support a bond of less than $25 million, for an estimated $50 million facility.
On the issue of tax rates and claims that taxes are not going up, all while property valuations continue to rapidly increase, Corley said,
To sit here and say, 'no we're not raising your taxes, we're keeping a flat tax rate.' That's a bold faced lie that's been told to the voter for too long and I'm just not going to be a part of it.
Corley and Hasty talked at length about yesterday's reports indicating that a much lower funding amount will be raised from the HOT than previously claimed by planners. Hasty asked Corley if he believes that the plan for the center is 'dead'.
During his reply, Corley said,
The $50 million plan is dead, and the voters voted on a $50 million construction project, so as far as I'm concerned, I think it is.
Listen to the entire interview with Jason Corley in the video above.