Governor Greg Abbott To Deliver The State of the State Tonight
Texas Governor Greg Abbott will deliver a speech in prime time tonight. The Governor's State of the State address, typically delivered in the morning before the Texas Legislature, will be delivered this year in San Marcos at 7 p.m.
This is the second session in a row that the Governor has not delivered the address before a join session of the Legislature, though the last time was during the COVID pandemic and different protocols were in place.
The speech will take place at Noveon Magnetics in San Marcos and there will be an audience including some lawmakers. The speech will also be televised around the state on Nextstar Media outlets. In Lubbock, this means you will be able to watch the address on both KAMC and KLBK. In Abilene, KTAB will carry the speech, and in Wichita Falls KFDX will be where you can tune in.
Here are some of the issues you should expect to hear about from Governor Abbott tonight.
- Immigration- Expect the Governor to discuss the border crisis and call for more funding and resources along the border
- Fentanyl- This will probably be part of the Governor's border security section. Hays County, where San Marcos is located has been dealing with overdoses. This is an important issue for Texas, but also the nation.
- School Choice- Education should be a big part of tonight's speech as the Governor will want to pivot towards the future of Texas and a state where parents have more choice.
- Property Taxes- We know the Governor wants to lower property taxes, but what is the plan?
- DEI- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion policies when hiring and DEI offices in Universities could be targets by the Governor in his speech.
- Small Business Regulations- While Texas is looked at as being business friendly, there are some regulations that go against that narrative. Look for the Governor to address those issues.
Following the Governor's address, the Democrats will have their say. Following that a panel discussion. Below, you will find a guide for stations that will carry the Governor's speech across the state according to KAMC.
- KDAF-TV (CW) in Dallas
- KIAH-TV (CW) in Houston
- KXAN-TV (NBC) in Austin
- KWKT-TV (FOX) in Waco
- KVEO-TV/KGBT-TV (NBC/MyNet) in Harlingen/Brownsville
- KSHV-TV (FOX) in Shreveport, Louisiana
- KTSM-TV (NBC) in El Paso
- KETK-TV (NBC) in Tyler
- KAMR-TV (NBC) in Amarillo
- KAMC-TV/KLBK-TV (ABC/CBS) in Lubbock
- KMID-TV (ABC) in Midland/Odessa
- KFDX-TV (NBC) in Wichita Falls
- KTAB-TV (CBS) in Abilene
- KLST-TV (CBS) in San Angelo