News/Talk 95.1 & 790 KFYO logo
Get our free mobile app

Five people were sent to the hospital after being exposed to carbon monoxide at an apartment complex in Lubbock.

KAMC News reports that Lubbock Fire Rescue were dispatched to the Hoff Garden Apartments, located in the 1900 block of 34th Street, the morning of Sunday, November 20th. This was after one of the residents reported smelling gas in their apartment.

The building was quickly evacuated and the cause of the issue was found soon after. LFR says the carbon monoxide exposure was due to faulty gas venting and it was fixed just before noon.

With this incident, Lubbock Fire Rescue has pointed out that calls regarding carbon monoxide poisoning will usually spike around this time of year. Deputy Chief Nick Wilson with LFR told KAMC News:

We tend to see a spike the first few times a year when people start firing up those heating appliances.

Anyone with gas appliances in their home are urged to have a working carbon monoxide detector, as it is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause flu-like symptoms without fever.

Anyone who may want a second opinion is free to call LFR's non-emergency number, which is available all day, every day. That number is 806-775-2635.

You can even get a free carbon monoxide detector in Lubbock if you're unable to afford one. An online form can be found at You can also call 311 and leave your contact information or send an email with your name, address and phone number to

14 People Arrested & Charged for Methamphetamine Crimes

Mugshots of 14 People Arrested & Charged for Methamphetamine Crimes

Lubbock November Thanksgiving Events 2022

More From News/Talk 95.1 & 790 KFYO