News/Talk 95.1 & 790 KFYO logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

Two people are recovering at a local hospital after suffering serious injuries after a garage caught fire Thursday morning, February 27th.

According to Lubbock Fire Rescue, they were called at about 9 a.m. to a fire that had broken out at a home near 14th Street and Avenue T.

KAMC News spoke with Tony Martinez, a former resident of the home, who was at the house when the fire started. He witnessed two people run out of garage that was on fire. That's when he called 9-1-1.

Photo provided by KAMC News.

Investigators now say that a man and a woman, both homeless, were staying inside the garage behind the house when it caught fire.

News reports say the woman suffered second and third degree burns on 80 percent of her backside, and the man suffered the same injuries on 10 percentof his backside.

Both victims are receiving treatment at University Medical Center, but their current conditions are unknown at this time.

Lubbock Fire Rescue is investigating how the fire started.

More From News/Talk 95.1 & 790 KFYO