With colder temperatures moving into Texas and New Mexico, Xcel Energy is providing customers with some tips to save on their energy bill this winter.
Xcel provided the following tips in their press release:
- Lower the thermostat a few degrees, ideally to 68 degrees or lower.
- Install a smart thermostat to automatically lower the temperature when away from home or during overnight hours.
- During daylight hours, open drapes and blinds to maximize heat from direct sunlight. To retain heat, keep them closed when it is dark.
- Run ceiling fans in a clockwise direction to push warm air down from the ceiling, adding comfort and savings.
- Keep interior doors open to help circulate air more freely and maintain constant heating levels.
- Use space heaters wisely by directing heaters towards people, not spaces, and keeping flammable materials away.
- Heat a smaller area when you're in one place for a while, either by closing vents in unused rooms or turning down the heat in some areas if you have a zoned home.
- Replace or clean your furnace filter every three months or when it looks dirty. A clogged filter can cause your system to work less efficiently.
Customers can learn about programs, incentives and rebates that can help make their homes and businesses more energy efficient by visiting the energy savings tips page at xcelenergy.com.
Customers having trouble paying their bill are encouraged to contact Xcel Energy at 1-800-895-4999. Customer agents can provide options like payment plans and energy assistance programs.