Lubbock ISD Band Program Procedures for Fall 2020
Lubbock ISD has provided a statement that outlines procedures they will be adopting for band programs during Fall 2020.
The statement says that its concluded the size and volume of infected aerosol droplets projected from the lungs and oral cavity are the greatest contributors for concern relating to COVID-19. Considering playing an instrument in band is built on breath, here are some guidelines Lubbock ISD is adopting to prevent the spread of viruses:
- Indoor audience capacity at 50% and/or socially distanced, masks required
- Strict adherence to 6'X6' social distancing for indoor rehearsals
- Adherence of 6'X6' social distancing outdoors when possible
- Masks worn by all students unless playing their instrument or performing
- Access to outdoor hand sanitizer stations for marching rehearsal
- Absorbent pads to collect instrumental condensation indoors
- Daily COVID-19 pre-screening procedures for summer and fall marching activities
- Reduction or elimination of shared resources where possible, including paper
- Additional safety protocol to be announced
It's acknowledge that some students will need to enroll in the Lubbock ISD online school to reduce exposure, and in order to accommodate the needs of families, the Lubbock ISD Board of Trustees gave online learners the option to take certain courses that can only be offered face-to-face.
This mean virtual students who play wind or percussion instruments are now able to be in band as long as they physically show up to school each day for their assigned period and are willing to fulfill all course requirements.