Lubbock Fire Department Evacuates 16 Homes Due to Gas Leak
Sixteen Lubbock homes were evacuated due to a gas leak Thursday morning (Sept.13).
Lubbock Fire Rescue was called to 48th Street and Avenue D just before 9:30 a.m. due to a 4-inch cut in a gas line. KAMC News reports a contractor working in the area accidentally made the cut.
LFR evacuated the homes and surrounding businesses as a precaution.
Atmos Energy said gas leaks like the one Thursday are becoming more frequent, and this is the fourth leak in the area in four days.
Marinda Heinrich, manager of public affairs at Atmos Energy, said Lubbock has had about 52 line strikes this year.