Just after 5 am on Monday, January 2nd, emergency vehicles arrived at a home in North Amarillo. They found one minor dead at the scene and sent nine more to the hospital where three more died.

Ten people living in a home were subjected to a deadly gas after a pesticide was sprayed and then exposed to water causing it to chemically react and turn into phosphine gas, which is extremely dangerous. Phosphine gas causes pulmonary edema and extreme respiratory distress.

According to ABC 7 News in Amarillo, the residents in the home had been breathing in the gas for approximately two days. The deceased ranged in age from 7 to 17. They have been identified as Felipe Balderas, 7; Josue Balderas, 11; Johnnie Balderas, 9; and Yasmeen Balderas, 17.

The mother, father, and four other children are still hospitalized, with the mother in Lubbock in serious condition.

Autopsies have begun, but toxicology reports could take from three to four weeks.


More From News/Talk 95.1 & 790 KFYO