Texas Tech Tennis Splits – Men Defeat Louisiana, Women Fall to Texas
The No. 24 Texas Tech men’s tennis team defeated Louisiana 6-1 on Sunday in the final non-conference match of the season at the McLeod Tennis Center.
The Ragin' Cajuns picked up the first point of the match after claiming wins at No. 1 and No. 2 in doubles. The Red Raiders lone win came at No. 3, where Connor Curry and Francisco Zambon picked up a late break and won, 6-4.
Hugo Dojas clinched the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Damian Farinola at No. 1 and Tech led 4-1.
The Red Raiders added come-from-behind wins for Alex Sendegeya and No. 109 Jolan Cailleau to close out the match. It was Cailleau's 10th straight win, as the sophomore improved to 22-8 on the season.
The No. 18 Tech women’s tennis team was upended by No. 36 Texas 4-2 Sunday at the Caswell Tennis Center in Austin.
"This was one of the toughest losses for me personally," said seventh-year head coach Todd Petty. "We had match points on Dvo (Sarah Dvorak) and KJ's (Katelyn Jackson) within seconds of each other.
"I was proud of the effort, but you have to learn how to let go of the result. This is a very young group and this loss can be helpful, if they can learn from it."
The loss drops the Lady Raiders to 12-4 overall and 2-1 in Big 12 action, while Texas improves to 5-8 overall and 2-2 in Big 12 action.
- Hugo Dojas (TT) def. Damian Farinola (UL) 6-3, 6-2
- No. 43 Felipe Soares (TT) def. Edgar Lopez (UL) 6-1, 6-1
- Alex Sendegeya (TT) def. (UL) Will Huyton 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
- No. 109 Jolan Cailleau (TT) def. Jarred Wynan (UL) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
- Connor Curry (TT) def. Coleman Wahlborg (UL) 6-2, 6-1
- Francisco Zambon (TT) def. Vlad Kramarov (UL) 6-3, 6-1
1. Edgar Lopez / Damian Farinola (UL) def. no. 24 Felipe Soares / Hugo Dojas (TT) 7-5
2. Jarred Wynan / Coleman Wahlborg (UL) def. Jolan Cailleau / Alex Sendegeya (TT) 6-3
3. Connor Curry / Francisco Zambon (TT) def. Vlad Kramarov / Will Huyton (UL) 6-4
1. No. 49 Breaunna Addison (UT) def. Kenna Kilgo (TT) 6-2, 6-0
2. Ryann Foster (UT) def. Gabriela Talaba (TT) 6-3, 6-4
3. Neda Koprcina (UT) def. no. 67 Sara Dvorak (TT) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
4. Lynn Kiro (TT) def. Danielle Wagland (UT) 6-3, 6-4
5. Lina Padegimaite (UT) def. no. 120 Sabrina Federici (TT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Lana Groenvynck (UT) vs. Katelyn Jackson (TT) 6-3, 4-6, 6-6 (3-4), unfinished
1. Kenna Kilgo / Gabriela Talaba (TT) def. Breaunna Addison / Danielle Wagland (UT) 6-1
2. Sabrina Federici / Lynn Kiro (TT) def. Ryann Foster / Lina Padegimaite (UT) 7-5
3. Lana Groenvynck / Pippa Horn (UT) vs. Sarah Dvorak / Katelyn Jackson (TT) 5-5, unfinished
The Tech men will now have a 12-day break before opening conference play with TCU in Fort Worth on Apr. 2.
The Tech women returns to action on Friday at 5 p.m., as the Lady Raiders host No. 29 Oklahoma at the McLeod Tennis Center.