Texas Tech Announces Long-Awaited Renovation to Dan Law Field
Today, Texas Tech Athletics announced the plans for a $5 million renovation to Dan Law Field, the home of Texas Tech Baseball.
The funds for the renovation have been raised via the athletic department from private donations. Groundbreaking will take place on June 24, 2011.
The $5 million renovation will encompass many different areas of Dan Law Field, including the grandstands, press box and luxury suites.
“This is a tremendous day for Red Raider Baseball,” said director of athletics Kirby Hocutt. “We are extremely grateful for the support of our private donors, and it is their contributions that will make Dan Law Field one of the top collegiate baseball facilities in the nation.”
The current press box and luxury suite structure at the top of Dan Law Field will be completely removed during the renovation, with a new structure built in its place. 10 new luxury suites will be built, along with a new press box that will be larger than the current structure. The new press box will have three broadcast booths (two radio and one television) and separate areas for print press and game operations. A new club seating area will also be built with outdoor seating for 75 fans.
One of the other interesting changes will be the addition of five new rows of seating in foul territory behind home plate. I'm sure a section of those seats will be taken by the 'Hecklers' to put them closer to the action.
New backstop netting will also be installed at Dan Law Field. The new netting will be high-tensioned and not require metal posts to hold up the netting, which currently obstruct views in the stands behind home plate.
I think these renovations will make Dan Law Field one of the best places to watch baseball in the Big 12 Conference. Also, Texas Tech Baseball should be able to get more home games on television with the addition of a new press box and television broadcast booth.
Construction is scheduled to begin following a groundbreaking ceremony to be held June 24 at 10 a.m. The grandstand portion of the structural improvements is scheduled for completion by Feb. 15, 2012.
DAN LAW FIELD RENOVATION FACTS & FIGURES FROM TEXAS TECH ATHLETICS
- Cost of Renovation: $5 million (private funds)
- Architect: MWM Architects, Lubbock, Texas
- Contractor: Will be hired upon completion of design
- Total Seating Capacity: 4,921
- 10 Luxury Suites (12 seats per suite)
- Club Area with outdoor seating for 75
- Restrooms For Club/Suite Patrons
- 1,154 chair-back seats
- Television broadcast booth, home and visitor radio booths and booth for written press
- Shading structure over center of grandstand
- Tensioned back-stop netting that will provide unobstructed view of the playing field
- Additional five rows of field seating that will be closer to home plate
- New elevator for club/suite/press box access
- Grandstand banners showcasing the history of Texas Tech Baseball
- Circular landscaped seating area with brick inlaid Double T