Recipe of the Week: Glazed Rum Cake
This week’s recipe is a cake with a rum glaze that takes about an hour total to bake. It’s one of the easiest and most delicious cakes I’ve made, and only takes about ten minutes to prepare.
To make this cake, you’ll need a bundt cake pan and the following ingredients:
* 1 tablespoon butter, melted
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1/4 cup chopped pecans
* 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
* 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant French vanilla pudding
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* 1/2 cup rum
* 4 eggs
* 7 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup white sugar
* 2/8 cup water
* 2/8 cup rum
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat Bundt pan with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Make sure butter coats to the top rim of the pan. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and finely chopped pecans to coat the pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and instant pudding. Add 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup rum and 4 eggs, mix until well blended then pour evenly into the pan. The batter should have a sticky, pudding like consistency.
3. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. I suggest checking the cake after 30 minutes.
4. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the 7 tablespoons of butter, 1 cup sugar, 2/8 cup water and 2/8 cup rum. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Poke holes into the bottom of the cake using a fork. Pour glaze evenly over the hot cake. Allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan, otherwise the cake will stick and fall apart.
I made this cake the other night for a friend, and by noon the next day it was already gone. If you’re allergic to nuts, leave them out. This cake is still delicious without them.
Do you have any favorite cake recipes? Share them below!