Governor Greg Abbott Announces Special Session 2017
This afternoon Texas Governor Greg Abbott announced a special session to be held for the 85th legislature this summer.
While the 85th legislature ended in May, the special sessions will begin on July 18th. In his speech today, Governor Abbott listed 20 items that will be brought to attention this summer.
Here's a list of the items set to be included.
- Sunset legislation
- Teacher pay increase of $1,000
- Administrative flexibility in teacher hiring and retention practices
- School finance reform commission
- School choice for special needs students
- Property tax reform
- Caps on state and local spending
- Preventing cities from regulating what property owners do with trees on private land
- Preventing local governments from changing rules midway through construction projects
- Speeding up local government permitting process
- Municipal annexation reform
- Texting while driving preemption
- Prohibition of taxpayer dollars to collect union dues
- Prohibition of taxpayer funding for abortion providers
- Pro-life insurance reform
- Strengthening abortion reporting requirements when health complications arise
- Strengthening patient protections relating to do-not-resuscitate orders
- Cracking down on mail-in ballot fraud
- Extending maternal mortality task force