Contact Us

City of Lubbock to Enter Stage 2 Water Restrictions on June 1st

David McNew, Getty Images

The City of Lubbock will enter Stage 2 of its Drought Contingency Plan later this year unless drought conditions diminish.

The City says that Stage 2 will begin on June 1st, 2014 unless considerable amounts of rain alleviate the severe drought problems in the area.

Under Stage 2, landscape irrigation will only be allowed once per week, and the schedule will be based on the last digit of the street address.

No irrigation will be allowed to occur during 10 a.m. and 6 p.m., but that is already in effect under Stage 1. Irrigation must be limited to 1.5 inches of water per week, and must be done without significant runoff.

New plant material may be irrigated more frequently for a limited time if a variance request is approved by the City of Lubbock.

Hand watering, done by holding the water hose in your hands, is allowed at any time on any day.

The mandatory non-essential water use restrictions included in Stage 2 do not allow for washing vehicles at residences; no spray down of hard-surfaced areas; no spray down of buildings, no flushing gutters; and no use of water in fountains or ponds for aesthetic purposes except to support aquatic life.

Lubbock’s water supply is diversified, with approximately 80 percent of the City’s water coming from groundwater from the City-owned Bailey County Well Field and the Canadian River Municipal Water Authority’s well field in Roberts County. The other 20 percent comes from Lake Alan Henry, which is at 63 percent of its total capacity.

All City operations and wholesale customers will be required to adhere to the drought contingency restrictions.

For more information regarding the City’s Stage 1 water restrictions that are currently in place, click here.

More From KFYO

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://kfyo.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on News/Talk 790 KFYO quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on News/Talk 790 KFYO quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!