Chad’s Morning Brief: Imagine Lubbock Together Tonight, Another Day Another Scandal With the Obama Administration & More
Here is your Morning Brief for the morning of May 14, 2013. Give me your feedback below and tune in to The Chad Hasty Show for these and many more topics from 8:30 to 11am.
1. Imagine Tonight
Tonight the Imagine Lubbock Together organization will have a presentation at the Cactus Theater from 5:30-7pm. The group will present plans and areas of interest that Lubbock citizens gave input in.
If you are planning on attending tonight's presentation, this question should keep running through your mind, "who's going to pay for this?". It's a good question and one that at some point the organization will have to address in detail. Many of the projects they claim will be paid for with private money. Great! But, why then the push to increase the sales tax to pay for projects?
We all know that Downtown Lubbock will be a focus of the group, though I still don't understand why. I could care less about bringing back the Downtown area. Not because I hate the area, but because Lubbock citizens have already decided where they want to live, shop, and eat. It's not Downtown.
Today and on Wednesday we will discuss what will be presented tonight. Some of the ideas you might like. Some of the ideas you may roll your eyes at.
2. Administration Taps AP Phone Records (link)
Can you handle another scandal with the Obama administration? Yesterday we learned that the Department of Justice spent months tapping the phone records of the AP. Snooping on journalists? This won't make the press happy.
The Justice Department secretly obtained two months of telephone records of reporters and editors for The Associated Press in what the news cooperative's top executive called a "massive and unprecedented intrusion" into how news organizations gather the news.
The records obtained by the Justice Department listed outgoing calls for the work and personal phone numbers of individual reporters, for general AP office numbers in New York, Washington and Hartford, Conn., and for the main number for the AP in the House of Representatives press gallery, according to attorneys for the AP. It was not clear if the records also included incoming calls or the duration of the calls.
In all, the government seized the records for more than 20 separate telephone lines assigned to AP and its journalists in April and May of 2012. The exact number of journalists who used the phone lines during that period is unknown, but more than 100 journalists work in the offices where phone records were targeted, on a wide array of stories about government and other matters.
In a letter of protest sent to Attorney General Eric Holder on Monday, AP President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Pruitt said the government sought and obtained information far beyond anything that could be justified by any specific investigation. He demanded the return of the phone records and destruction of all copies.
"There can be no possible justification for such an overbroad collection of the telephone communications of The Associated Press and its reporters. These records potentially reveal communications with confidential sources across all of the newsgathering activities undertaken by the AP during a two-month period, provide a road map to AP's newsgathering operations and disclose information about AP's activities and operations that the government has no conceivable right to know," Pruitt said.
The government would not say why it sought the records. Officials have previously said in public testimony that the U.S. attorney in Washington is conducting a criminal investigation into who may have provided information contained in a May 7, 2012, AP story about a foiled terror plot. The story disclosed details of a CIA operation in Yemen that stopped an al-Qaida plot in the spring of 2012 to detonate a bomb on an airplane bound for the United States.
Remember when the President told Ohio State students to ignore the voices of tyranny? I wonder why he would be selling that message.
3. Gosnell Guilty (link)
Abortion Doctor Kermit Gosnell was convicted yesterday of murdering 3 babies along with other charges.
Former Philadelphia abortion doctor Kermit Gosnell has been found guilty of first-degree murder in the deaths of three babies authorities said were born alive before having their necks cut with scissors. A jury found Gosnell not guilty of first-degree murder in a fourth baby’s death.
In addition to the murder charges, the 72-year-old was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the overdose death of former patient Karnamaya Mongar.
Gosnell was also found guilty of several other crimes including one count of infanticide, two counts of conspiracy, 21 of 24 counts of abortion of an unborn child of 24 weeks or more and 208 of 227 counts of violation of informed consent of an abortion.
In all, Gosnell was found guilty of 237 crimes. He will now face the death penalty in the sentencing phase, which will begin a week from Tuesday.
Glad the jury found this monster guilty. Now, it's time to sentence him to death. I still can't believe it took the jury so long to convict.
Other Top Stories:
These and many more topics coming up on today’s edition of The Chad Hasty Show. Tune in mornings 8:30-11am on News/Talk 790 KFYO, streaming online at kfyo.com, and now on your iPhone and Android device with the radioPup App. All guest interviews can be heard online in our podcast section after the show at kfyo.com