Beloit College’s Minset List for the Class of 2016 Proves You Are Old
The Mindset List, which was conceptualized at Beloit College in 1998, is an annual list that has served for over a decade as a source of entertainment for millions of people interested in the reading through the youthful and naive eyes of first year college students.
This year’s list focuses on the Class of 2016, where the majority of students attending college for the fist time were born in or around 1994, and have grown up in a world where legendary figures including Kurt Cobain, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Richard Nixon and John Wayne Gacy have always been dead.
Below is the first seven on Beloit College’s Mindset List for the Class of 2016. To read the entire list click here.
1. They should keep their eyes open for Justin Bieber or Dakota Fanning at freshman orientation.
2. They have always lived in cyberspace, addicted to a new generation of “electronic narcotics.”
3. The Biblical sources of terms such as “forbidden fruit,” ”the writing on the wall,” ”good Samaritan,” and “the promised land” are unknown to most of them.
4. Michael Jackson’s family, not the Kennedys, constitutes “American royalty.”
5. If they miss ‘The Daily Show,’ they can always get their news on YouTube.
6. Their lives have been measured in the fundamental particles of life: bits, bytes, and bauds.
7. Robert De Niro is thought of as Greg Focker’s long-suffering father-in-law, not as Vito Corleone or Jimmy Conway.